GETTING MARRIED AT MARY, MOTHER OF THE CHURCH PARISH
Parish Office: 45 Crosswicks Street, Bordentown, NJ 08505 609-298-0261
Welcome to Mary, Mother of the Church Parish. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your engagement and thank you for considering having your marriage ceremony at our parish. We have two beautiful churches to choose from and both unique in history and architecture: St Mary Church, 45 Crosswicks St., Bordentown and Holy Assumption Church, 1290 Hornberger Ave., Roebling. I would invite you to spend some time in prayer in both and allow God to speak to your heart to decide which one suits you best.
What Should We Do to Plan Our Wedding?
- Begin planning no later than 12 months before your wedding date
- Call Parish Office (609-298-0261) to check availability of Church before booking venue
- Speak with the Wedding Coordinator who will ask some basic questions to determine the best move forward.
- Make appointment to meet with the Pastor (He likes to say hello)
- Deacon will contact you to begin preparations for planning your wedding. He will talk you through the choices for Marriage Preparation Workshops and FOCCUS (Facilitating Open Couple Communication, Understanding and Study)
FIRST MEETING WITH DEACON/PRIEST
- An opportunity to introduce ourselves and build a relationship
- Decide on dates and times for Marriage Preparation Workshop and FOCCUS work book
SECOND MEETING WITH DEACON/PRIEST
- Discuss Marriage Preparation Workshop and FOCCUS
- Begin planning wedding liturgy
- Church Documents that both of you will need:
- Baptism Certificate: issued 6 months prior to date of wedding
- Confirmation Certificate
- ‘Letter of Freedom’ if not from this parish, this letter is obtained from your registered parish
- Previously Married: An Annulment Decree or Death Certificate of former spouse. This is important to have with you so to confirm date of wedding and it helps the Deacon determine the time needed for planning your wedding.
- Different Christian Denomination: Certificate of Baptism.
- Additional documents may be needed; Deacon will advise
- One month prior to wedding contact City Clerk in the municipality where you reside to apply for Marriage License: fee will apply and witnesses may be required. (If you live out of state you will need to apply for the civil marriage license in Bordentown City).
ADMINISTRATIVE WEDDING FEES
- Registered parishioners: $500 (must be registered in the parish at least 12 months)
- Non-parishioners $600
- Sunday weddings: there is an additional $100 charge, due to the hiring of a person to open/close and sanitize the church.
- Active Military please contact the Wedding Coordinator
- Wedding performed by visiting priest/deacon but marriage preparation is completed by this parish, a $100 additional fee is charged for administration
Please contact our Music Coordinator, Alfonso Gonzales (609-222-2335), regarding your liturgical music choices. If you are having your own musicians/cantor all music choices must be approved by our Music Coordinator.
Music/Cantors fees or Admin fees are to be discussed with the Music Coordinator
Videos and photographs are allowed during the wedding, but please consult with the celebrant for any particular needs or requests.
LIVE VIDEO STREAMING
We have live stream at St Mary Church, Bordentown. To gain access, please go to www.mmotcp.org and click on our live stream button.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER
- We request a $100 deposit to hold the date which will be put towards the wedding fee.
- No rice, birdseed, flower petals or confetti inside or outside church or church grounds. We request a $100 ‘Rice’ deposit made out on a separate check marked ‘rice deposit’, refundable after the wedding if there is no clean up needed.
- The two deposits are required when you book the date of your wedding.
- Select the florist of your choice. Decorations must keep with the nature of the sacrament and may be limited due to the liturgical season.
- No tape may be used to secure decorations, please use elastic bands. No isle runners.
VALIDATION OF A CIVIL CEREMONY
- Civil marriage license issued at wedding
- Catholics: copies of sacraments received
- Other Christian Denominations/Faiths: Deacon/Priest will advise
- Deacon/Priest will assist with all Diocesan, parish and State/Township requirements
- Marriage Validation Administration fee of $300 is requested to offset costs.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Parish Office and speak with the Wedding Coordinator or the Pastor and we will do all in our power to assist you in any way we can.
May God bless you and guide you both in a long and happy life together.
Fr Martin O’ Reilly